Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Bottled

Mild pressure, easy burning,
Just a little buzz in the back of my mind;
Most days I forget and walk on
because picking at scabs just makes scars
worse.
They're just scars
that burn
with every vibrant reminder
a poker plunged into the depths
of all the missing pieces torn to leave that shiny puckered mark
for everyone to see.

I'm tired
of that shadow coming up to shake my hand
expecting a clean merging of night and day
into some murky medium
that I want to believe
I can float through
with half-closed eyes
a half-beating heart.

I'm worried
when I feel that crackling behind my eyes
that rippling fury I wear closer than skin;

I know
it's as transparent as I try to act;
that everyone can see
I'm two minutes from breaking
three from hard apathy
and if you hear that clock ticking down you better start fucking running.

But no -- instead, let the audience
just smile
and placate
pat my hand and tell me
how hard it must have been
how hard to even imagine
how hard to survive.

They do not understand
                                       who they are fucking with.
They do not understand
                                       the volume of what's so carefully contained
behind hours of babbling
                                         and screaming
                                                                 and masochistic calm under a needle;
the soothing
                      and healing
                                         and holding on
                                                                  to letting go 
                                                                                      just to maintain a rigidly gentle simmer.
But then again, maybe it's me
that still doesn't understand
because I can't turn around
can't look it in the face 
      without feeling 
that gloriously clean and beautiful rage 
                                                            that makes me invincible 
                                                                                                   and terrible 
                                                                                                                      and unstoppable 
                                                            start boiling up 
                                                                                    inside the deepest parts
                                  from all the darkest parts
                                                                                 of me 
all I want is to unleash it and let it burn everything
leave nothing 
to forget
to be mad at
to fight
to make me feel 
                                                                                                    like I'm barely keeping 
                                                                  from baring my teeth
                                containing that growl
        leaving my fists 
                                clenched to my sides 
                                                                 instead of flying through the air 
                                                to connect 
  with anything and everything 
                                                                 I know I can make bleed
because oh, how I want it all to bleed sometimes.
Sometimes, I just need 
my head tucked under your chin
my own little space to breathe
your kiss on my forehead
your nearly silent, "It's ok." against my ear
your swinging hug that makes me squeak 
            and feel 
                         like I'm much, much too tiny 
                                                                      to keep carrying 
                                                                                                this fury around 
                                                                                                                          inside me 
my tiger in a cage 
your silent reminder 
that I don't have to keep proving 
to myself and all the world how oh, so very, very strong I am 
by fighting with 
                         every 
                                  single 
                                           blazing 
                                                      furious 
                                                                  breath I take 
                                            despite the fact that no one
                                     else
                                            really knows what I'm fighting for
your look that tells me it's okay
                                                to let go
                                                             for just one minute, 
                                                to just let it all out 
                                                             in a big messy rush without that frantic control
your quick squeeze of my hand to remind me 
                                                                      that I'm not always the only one fighting for me.

Though it all just smolders
though it's all just heavy
though it's not even close to over
                                                   you never fail 
                                                                         to remind me
                                                     I can do it on my own 
                                                              and I don't need to.

1 comment: